The following is a guest blog article written by Jessica Martinez, the marketing whiz-bang over at Kickbox, a company which helps email marketers support their email standing by separating low-quality email addresses from high-value contacts. She is responsible for electronic branding, engagement & content creation for the Dallas-based startup. Before Jessica got caught up by email verification powerhouse, Kickbox, she made her marketing stripes working at a leading ecommerce brand for over a decade.
Email remains the best channel for getting a good return on investment. According to many digital marketing experts, that is not going to change anytime soon. That said, if you use email marketing, you are probably busy strategizing & dreaming up clever campaigns to increase conversions & build your email list.
After all, effective list building is at the core of any good email marketing plan.
But are you taking it too far?
Signs you might be an email hoarder.
Just as you could collect and save mass amounts of anything, it is also possible to hold on to subscribers in your email list. Not sure if you are hoarding emails? Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you obsess over the number of subscribers on the list?
- Do you seek yourself boasting about the size of your email list to friends/colleagues?
- When someone unsubscribes from your list do you cringe and feel a sense of pain?
- When you have a new subscriber do you experience a euphoric feeling?
- Does the thought of parting with any of the email addresses on the list make you ill?
If you have answered “YES” to any of these questions, then you may be an email hoarder.
While a large subscribe list does not necessarily mean you are hoarding emails, if you are concentrated solely on building your list and/or have never consider clearing out the clutter, your good intentions could quickly get out of hand. Email hoarding happens slowly over time, and many marketers do not even realize they have a problem until it is too late – that occurs when they notice any of the following:
- High Bounce Rates – Bounce rates approaching 10 percent
- High Volume of Business Emails – B2B lists tend to degrade quicker than B2C lists.
- Old Lists – The older the list, the better the risk.
- Poor Email Performance – Your emails aren’t converting like they used to.
- Warning from ESP – Your ESP will suspend/block your account if you have too many bounces/invalid email addresses before putting their network at risk.
Thankfully, however, there is a cure.
Kickbox, the cure for a cluttered email list.
No one is pointing fingers. We have all been guilty of email hoarding at some point in our marketing careers. But you should understand that list building without routine list maintenance could have serious ramifications.
All email addresses aren’t created equal. People change jobs, change names, switch email supporters, use fake or disposable addresses, hit the wrong keys/buttons, you name it. But when that happens, it could prevent your emails from getting into the inbox.
Additionally, a list riddled with incorrect data could damage your sender reputation and negatively impact email performance. Here is the general rule for maintaining subscriber lists for both B2C & B2B business owners:
- B2B lists should be cleansed every 6 months due to high turnover.
- B2C lists should be cleansed at least once a year.
Where does Kickbox fit in?
Kickbox is a list cleaning powerhouse that letsAWeber users to check the health of their email lists & identify the good, the bad and the ugly email addresses lurking in their database. The seamless integration allows you easily pass data back & forth between AWeber& the Kickbox app to help you clear the clutter in a matter of minutes.
Kickbox will support you with a plethora of data about each email address, letting you know if the address isUndeliverable, Risky, Deliverable, – even Disposable, Accept All, Role&Free.
They also support an additional metric, called the Sendex™ Score, which lets you to further rank the quality of every email address based on their proprietary scoring system.
Armed with this data, you could make informed, stress-free decisions about which emails to keep, which emails you should ditch, plus you could segment to your heart’s content.
Kickbox + AWeber
To see how connecting Kickbox with your AWeber account could help you easily maintain your email list, check out the video below: